Founded in 2004 by Bobby and Leslie Weed in collaboration with noted local pediatrician Julie Buckley, MD, The HEAL Foundation works to assist individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders in the greater Jacksonville Area. As parents of daughters with autism, Bobby and Leslie Weed and Dr. Buckley understand the difficulties facing those affected by Autism, and through The HEAL Foundation, they have raised more than $1 million to provide “grants that help support camps, educational programs, community projects and financial aid for families in the Jacksonville Florida area” dealing with Autism (The HEAL Foundation 2010). As mentioned on their homepage, HEAL’s “ultimate goal is to generate enough funding to build HEAL House, a refuge where therapeutic programs and services can be offered under one roof” (The HEAL Foundation 2010).
Below are some services and programs that HEAL facilitates:
- HEALing Families – Support groups for families
- HEALing Hands – financial aid for medical care
- Educational seminars for parents, teachers and therapists
- Recreational and social events for families
- Awards grants to support camps, education, community programs and financial aid
- HEAL monthly e-newsletter
- HEAL Web site – links and calendar of community of events
- HEAL TOGETHER! Informative monthly meetings for parents, therapists and teachers
Click here to learn how you can further support The HEAL Foundation! Donations will also be accepted at our registers throughout the entire month of June!
Photos from HEAL Foundation Website
The HEAL Foundation. “Our Mission.” The HEAL Foundation — Healing Every Autistic Life. 2010. Web. 01 June 2011. <http://www.healautismnow.org/>.